Monday, May 29, 2006

I Honor our War Dead, those that have served, and those that have been wounded, But??

I have been out all day celebrating this memorial day as I do every year.. This one has special meaning for me since I have 2 of my own sons in this war. It is no longer me, my father, or Grandfather. It is my sons, and maybe your son or daughter.

Memorial Day 2006 is far from being historical. It is current, and you don't have to look any further than the daily news report to see how much so. Today it's highly likely that a mother will lose her son and another memorial will be necessary. And so while we honor those men and women who have died for our country in past years, foremost in our minds today should be the young men and women - our neighbors, friends and co-workers - who went off to the war in Iraq and returned
in a body bag.
The United States has lost more than 2,400 troops since it went to war in Iraq in March 2003 With some 11,000 wounded.
http://news.enquirer.com/...

Memorial Day provides us an opportunity to remember and honor those brave Americans who risked their lives in defense of our great nation and its principles. In light of the fact that many soldiers are being injured and surviving wounds that in the past they would have died from. I was pretty happy to hear there is a museum under construction to record all those wounded in action. The National Purple Heart Hall Of Honor.
http://www.state.ny.us/...

There is an effort underway to keep a record of all those injured in battle and record their stories. If you are one or know of someone please get their story recorded. This link contains what I believe is a toll free number to call.
http://www.military.com/...

Some of you may already know but I found the History behind The Purple Heart rather interesting too. I didn't know it was initiated first by George Washington and the first ones given out in 1783.
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/...



We didn't ask for or advocate this war in Iraq but it is important at least to me that we remember those that are in this and are fighting and maybe getting wounded and dying.

James Joiner
Gardner, Ma
www.anaveragepatriot.com

Technorati Tags:
, , ,

3 comments:

pissed off patricia said...

You may have already read my post today and I know you read my post yesterday. Thank you for sharing your feelings and perhaps understanding mine. My anger at the administration yesterday almost won out over my respect for those whom we honored. My anger over what we see happening every day in Iraq is making my vision cloud just as the tears of sadness often do. Emotional battles are I believe firing up all over our country.

eProf2 said...

Jim, yes, we should honor those who have served and died on a special day in order for us to remember their part in all of the wars America has been involved in over the years. But, to the "but" of your headline, I really thought you were going to ask, why are we involved in so many wars? Why has the burden of service, death, and memorial fallen to Americans? As a veteran myself and with two family members who have already served in Iraq, I'm in need for someone to tell me why the burden of war falls to us. Thank you for your blog. I hope your children are safe and will return to you and your family unharmed.

jmsjoin said...

Eprof
I tried to get through to you but could not find an email or site. I hope you get this.
the "But" in my headline was for what you said and for the fact that Bush is a war monger and is getting us out of control over our heads only to follow his doctrine of creating a new world order. He is the reason this has all fallen on us and no other. Bush is following what I know as the Russian doctrine of destruction. It is used only when replacing one order with another. You must first create disorder to replace with your order, Bush is on the fast track and running out of time. It will all end up in total disorder and we and our military will be left to clean it up and pay the price. And not just the 1.5 trillion in debt he is going to choke our children and grandchildren with. Take Care, Jim