Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Bush's shame is not just Homeless Veterans but their abuse and misuse from Enlistment!

I have to say first that I have never looked at Paula Vahn's work before but I am glad to see anyone disclose the gross mistreatment of veterans. I know it has happened in the past but in light of the lying two faced rhetoric that routinely comes from Bush in every instance, this is routine Bush misperformance.
This time it's about how much he appreciates and takes care of our soldiers and veterans while he has done everything to show he doesn't and abuses and misuses them from beginning to end and blames it on someone else. I just can't stand any more of his lying ineptitude only to follow his plan. it is unconscionable what he is doing to the very soldiers he depends on to fight his wars once they are no longer available to do his bidding.
For all the talk we hear about supporting the troops, here is a shameful truth: hundreds of U.S. veterans have come home from the war, only to find themselves homeless but sadly it gets worse. she interviewed a troop that was taking shots from kids and old women while fighting in
Iraq and now that he is discharged he is a homeless veteran suffering from PTSD flipping Burgers to survive after a destroyed marriage and family.
He is only one of a growing segment of America's homeless population, veterans who served in Iraq and Afghanistan. To date, their numbers are small, but the concern is a repeat of what the Vietnam War produced, thousands of homeless vets. But, this time, there's a higher rate of post-traumatic stress disorder and an economy with skyrocketing housing costs.
I have to tell you, as I have said numerous times in the past in regard to the fact that this so called war on terrorism will dwarf every war in the past and every single problem experienced during Vietnam will and is being duplicated and worse, and every single problem experienced by Vietnam Veteran's will be heightened by the simple fact that today's veterans are under the callous misguidance of the Decider.
Ed Quill who works with the Volunteers of America, a nonprofit advocacy group for the homeless who go out in search of vets in need, providing medical care and housing assistance says It makes him feel ashamed when he goes home, and he knows a veteran who is out there and served to protect him doesn't have that same home. This makes us all ashamed and we must all try to do our share to help these soldiers as this situation will and is getting worse despite what Bush will tell you.
In the last two years, the Department of Veterans Affairs counted 1,049 veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan who needed homeless services from the VA. PETE DOUGHERTY, HOMELESS VETERANS PROGRAMS DIRECTOR, U.S. DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS: What is alarming is if we didn't see some of them, and we weren't getting to them. I am happy to say that he is reporting that homeless Beds in VA homeless shelters are up 40%.
I think that is wonderful that they are getting help but I am dismayed to find out that so many of our heroes are in this position after serving us so well. Dougherty is proud saying we have come light years from Vietnam. I don't know? I am pleased we are helping veterans but in the respect that they are even in this position tells me we have gone nowhere.
I understand the problem often starts with the untreated mental health issues and a system that's really not ready to help them transition. I was surprised and dismayed to hear of just one of many homeless vets who found himself living in his car on the streets of Brooklyn. He was frustrated. He had post-traumatic stress disorder. He tried to reach out and navigate the bureaucracy, but, pretty soon, he ended up homeless.
Sadly he was only one of a few that came to VA offices. They have seen dozens since then. They have seen homeless people who are single parents with children, young veterans, all different types. The numbers are out there, and they're significant, and they're growing. I find that very disturbing knowing what they have done and how Bush routinely says he will do anything to take care of them.
Pushing for additional funding for Homeless Veterans Barack Obama pointed out that every night 200,000 of our veterans are homeless. While that does include Vietnam Veterans this is unconscionable especially since Bush is taking such good care of them. http://transcripts.cnn.com/...
This misadministration should be ridiculed and ashamed of themselves not only for the way they are abusing and misusing our active military but also for the mistreatment of them once they are no longer serving. It is very disheartening to see this happening at a time when we as citizens are so proud of what they have done for us and at a time when we are in so much need of their services and they must know we are grateful to them even as this Misadministration blows this issue to.
I know I ask it all the time but how does Bush continue to get away with this?

James Joiner
Gardner, Ma
www.anaveragepatriot.com

3 comments:

RoseCovered Glasses said...

Bob,

Greeting once again. I havn't touched down at your site since we exchanged some opinions back in November of last year.

We need to be careful to differentiate between the Active Service Hospitals and the Veteran’s Administration. There are major differences.

I am currently a resident in a Veteran’s Home after having undergone treatment through the VA for PTSD and Depression, long overdue some 40 years after the Tet Offensive that cap stoned my military 2nd tour in Vietnam with a lifetime of illness.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/16873701.htm

My blog has attracted the stories of many veterans such as myself and other sufferers from PTSD who were victimized by elements of society other than the VA system of medical and mental treatment. I, for one, became trapped in the Military Industrial Complex for 36 years working on weapons systems that are saving lives today but with such high security clearances that I dared not get treated for fear of losing my career:

http://rosecoveredglasses.blogspot.com/2006/11/odyssey-of-armaments.html

When my disorders became life threatening I was entered into the VA System for treatment in Minneapolis. It saved my life and I am now in complete recovery and functioning as a volunteer for SCORE, as well as authoring books and blogging the world.

When I was in the VA system I was amazed at how well it functioned and how state of the art it is for its massive mission. Below is a feature article from Time Magazine which does a good job of explaining why it is a class act:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1376238,00.html

I had state of the art medical and mental care, met some of the most dedicated professionals I have ever seen and was cared for by a handful of very special nurses among the 60,000 + nursing population that make up that mammoth system. While I was resident at the VA Hospital in Minneapolis I observed many returnees from Iraq getting excellent care.

I do not say the VA system is perfect but it is certainly being run better on a $39B budget than the Pentagon is running on $494B.
We have bought into the Military Industrial Complex (MIC). If you would like to read this happens please see:

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2007/03/spyagency200703

Through a combination of public apathy and threats by the MIC we have let the SYSTEM get too large. It is now a SYSTEMIC problem and the SYSTEM is out of control. Government and industry are merging and that is very dangerous.

There is no conspiracy. The SYSTEM has gotten so big that those who make it up and run it day to day in industry and government simply are perpetuating their existance.
The politicians rely on them for details and recommendations because they cannot possibly grasp the nuances of the environment and the BIG SYSTEM.

So, the system has to go bust and then be re-scaled, fixed and re-designed to run efficiently and prudently, just like any other big machine that runs poorly or becomes obsolete or dangerous.
This situation will right itself through trauma. I see a government ENRON on the horizon, with an associated house cleaning.
The next president will come and go along with his appointees and politicos. The event to watch is the collapse of the MIC.
For more details see:

http://www.rosecoveredglasses.blogspot.com

jmsjoin said...

Ken Larson glad to hear from you! Hope you are well. Yes there is a big difference between the Active Service Hospitals and the Veteran’s Administration.
I hold Bush accountable for the mess at Walter Reed because he was the idiot who insisted on closing it and allowed privatization of health care in order to cut costs and eneble him to spend on hi created war in Iraq that will soon get worse as it spreads to Iran.
I may have told you but I get my care at a VA hospital too. I think they deserve more attention and money but I get superb care there.
As far as I am concerned it is superior to any I recieved in the past. They are most definitely to be commended. Thanks Ken! I have been very busy of late and have had to cut back on where I post so I don't get around too much myself.
I have to tell you, since I changed to this new Blogger I only get comments from one person. Is there something special that has to be done? How did you get through? Stay in touch! Jim

dan said...

If you haven't seen the film WHEN I CAME HOME yet, watch this one-minute trailer:

http://www.whenicamehome.com

It is all about homeless Iraq war veterans and is seriously eye-opening:

www.whenicamehome.com